Monday, February 2, 2009

Update on our life

It has been quite a while since I've updated my blog. There are 2 reasons for that. One - I have shamefully become addicted to Facebook, and two - I started taking a college course on-line. Which brings me to one change that has occured in our lives. Yes, I've decided to go back to school. I have always regretted not going to college fresh from highschool or while waiting to have children after we were married. So, I've decided to regret no more. I had started a few times and excuses got in the way but I WILL finish this time. I'm going so that I can be a teacher like I've wanted to do since I was a little girl. I have about a million friends and family members that teach and I've told myself for years that it wasn't for me but the desire never goes away. So - here I go! My plan is to take one class a semester (including summer) until Gracie goes to school full-time which should be the school year after next. At that time I will quit working at the preschool (sad...tears) and go to school full-time. I'm currently taking my on-line courses at TCC and will eventually transfer to UNT. I'm very excited!

Another change that is yet to happen in our family is Matt's position. He put in for a transfer to Traffic from his current position in Patrol. He got the position and is looking forward to the change. His hours will change somewhat. He will work a 10hr shift compared to the 12hr shift he currently works and he will always have the same days off compared to a rotating 8hr shift on Thurs and every other Sun. off he has now. His new days off will probably be Sat, Sun, Mon or may be Fri, Sat, Sun. Either way he will be off on Sat and Sun. The advantage for me is that he will be home earlier than usual and therefore, wake up earlier than usual and have longer time to spend at home before having to go back to work. Currently he has 2hrs a day from the time he wakes up to the time he leaves for work. An hour of that is spent preparing/eating/cleaning dinner. It stinks.

An update on Gracie.....she got her progress report and it wasn't that great at all. We are working a lot on things at home as well but it doesn't seem to be sticking. I'm trying hard to not get discouraged and I refuse to give up. We have turned our 30mins. before bedtime into our own little "circle time". I have themed lessons, and games we play that help to reinforce the things she's trying to learn. We also use this time to do a nightly Bible study. The good thing is Zade is right there in the big middle of it all so I've learned how to incorporate him in it, too. I don't expect him to catch on to colors, shapes, and numbers but I always ask him to repeat the words so as to help build his vocabulary. Which, by the way, he doesn't need much help on at all. (As I write - he's in bed singing the Batman song to himself - a nightly ritual)

More on Gracie....we decided to again have Gracie examined by a different doctor regarding possible A.D.D. We did this prior to her 4th bday and it didn't go so well. The doctor completely laughed us off and didn't evaluate her at all. This time we are going to The Child Study Center - a place that has been recommeded to us by many. Hopefully, she will get the proper care there and we can get some valuable answers that will help us help her.

Zade's big thing in life has been a big boy bed. We moved him to a toddler bed several weeks ago. He does really well in it. He also got his first haircut this weekend. Matt and I have been debating with one another about where/who will give Zade his first cut. I caved and sent him with Matt to the barber Saturday. Matt said he did so good..no crying or fussing at all. I teared up a bit when he came home. It's amazing how grown he looks after just a simple hair cut. But it is sooo cute.

Well, for now that is pretty much all that is going on in our lives. Nothing earth shattering.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Myra, anytime I read anything about you I'm shocked at how much it seems we have in common. I have also decided to finish college. I have enrolled at UNT for the fall. I'm quiting teaching preschool and I'm going to go full time. I'm going to get certified for 4-8 math. I have 82 hours right now and I can't wait to find out how much longer I have. The story about Gracie just reminds me how hard that time in my life was. I remember when Chesley started talking in full sentences before Chayton did. Now she is reading and he is struggling. He has made huge improvements. I will pray that Gracie's eval goes well, and you get answers you need. I hope they can do everything possible to ease your load.